One of MEC’s missions is to support and promote education. As a cooperative, we operate on a nonprofit basis. Each year, after expenses are paid, we allocate all remaining margins back to our members in the form of capital credits. Capital credits are retired (paid out) periodically with Board approval, after a review of the Cooperative’s financial status.
Sometimes, the intended recipient cannot be located and the capital credits go unclaimed. After a period of time, unclaimed capital credits are turned over to MEC’s Education Trust Fund, which is used to award scholarships to local students.
- All applicants must be attending or planning to attend an accredited Montana school
- Parents or legal guardians must be a MEC member at the time of application
- Complete all sections of the application
- All applicants must have a minimum 3.0 Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA)
- Official school transcript documenting CGPA is required with the application
- Round 2 applicants must be present at the Annual Meeting to be eligible to win the final scholarship drawing
Scholarship Award Selection
Round 1: a maximum of two (2) one thousand dollar ($1,000.00) scholarships will be randomly selected from each of the 7 Trustee Districts. Applicants not selected in Round 1 will be reentered to win one (1) one thousand dollar ($1,000.00) scholarship which will be awarded as described in Round 2.
Round 2: One (1) one thousand dollar ($1,000.00) scholarship will be selected by random drawing from the applicants not selected in Round 1 and in attendance during the MEC Annual Meeting in March 2020. Applicants must be present to win.