One of the missions of MEC is to support and promote education. As a cooperative, we operate on a nonprofit basis. This means each year, after all the bills are paid, we allocate all remaining margins back to the members in the form of capital credits. Capital credits are retired (paid out) periodically with board approval after review of the Cooperative’s financial status.
Sometimes, the intended recipient cannot be located and the capital credits go unclaimed. After a period of time, unclaimed capital credits are turned over to MEC’s education trust fund. The scholarships awarded by the Cooperative are funded by these unclaimed capital credits.
- All applicants must be attending or planning to attend a Montana accredited school.
- Parents or legal guardians must be a MEC member at the time of application.
- Complete all sections of the application.
- All applicants must have a minimum 3.0 Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA).
- Official School Transcript documenting CGPA is required with the application.
- Round 2 applicants must be present for the drawing at the next Annual Meeting to win.
Scholarship Award Selection
Round 1: a maximum of two (2) one thousand dollar ($1,000.00) scholarships will be randomly selected from each of the 7 Trustee Districts. Applicants not selected in Round 1 will be reentered to win one (1) one thousand dollar ($1,000.00) scholarship which will be awarded as described in Round 2.
Round 2: One (1) one thousand dollar ($1,000.00) scholarship will be selected by random drawing from the applicants not selected in Round 1 and in attendance during the MEC Annual Meeting in March 2019. Applicants must be present to win.