A typical household spends about $110 per year or 10 – 15 percent of its annual electric bill on lighting. Much of this is wasted on inefficient incandescent bulbs. Why inefficient – Because Incandescent bulbs convert only 10% of the energy they consume to light. The other 90% is converted to heat.
Benefits of Light Emitting Diode (LED) bulbs:
- ENERGY STAR® qualified LED bulbs can be more efficient, durable, versatile and longer lasting. More light (lumens) for fewer watts, 75% or more.
- LEDs are “directional” light sources which means they emit light in a specific direction, unlike incandescent and compact fluorescent bulbs which emit light — and heat — in all directions.
- ENERGY STAR® LED bulbs have a consistent white light over the rated life of the bulb. LED “lifetime” is set based on a prediction of when the light output decreases 30 percent.
- ENERGY STAR® LEDs are small and provide unique design opportunities. Common colors include amber, red, green, and blue
- ENERGY STAR® LEDs are available from most leading lighting manufacturers
If you need to dispose of compact fluorescent bulbs please take them to either Missoula ACE Hardware location, Home Depot, the Missoula Electric Cooperative office in Missoula, or Rovero’s in Seeley Lake. If you should happen to break a CFL and need to clean it up, please follow these instructions.