Fee information effective October 16, 2012.
Sign Up Fees
MEC will perform a credit check at the time of sign-up, and based on the results we determine if a deposit is needed or not.
- Residential: $150.00 minimum, or twice the highest bill at the place of service, whichever is greater
- Commercial: for commercial accounts at an existing service, the minimum deposit will be equal to the total amount of the two (2) highest bills of the last twelve months of service at this location
- Commercial New Construction: with no, or less than acceptable credit history, deposits will be based on serving size and possible capacity of usage
Paper Processing Fee
We charge a one-time processing fee for every meter that the consumer signs up. This fee is charged each time a meter is put into a consumer’s name. This fee is billed out on your first statement.
- Processing Fee: One-time charge of $5.00
We charge certain fees at different stages in the collection process. These fees are as follows in the order they are charged to the account:
- Penalty Charge: 1.5% of the balance at the time of processing
- Disconnect Letter Fee: $5.00
- Final Termination Notice: $15.00
Returned Check and Declined Card Fees
We charge a returned check fee for every check that is sent back to us from the bank. The fee is applied to the account that the payment was applied against. We charge a fee for all card payments and automated drafts that are returned from the bank.
- Checks Returned for Insufficient Funds: $25.00
A service fee will be charged for various service calls. The fees vary depending on what service is requested.
- Service Visit Fee: $35.00
- Load Limiter Fee (service visit): $35.00
- Reconnect Fee: $100.00
- After-Hours Reconnect Fee: $150.00*
*Charged for reconnecting service between 3:00 PM and 8:00 AM Monday – Friday any time during weekends and holidays.
Meter Tampering Fees
We charge a fee for tampering with any MEC meter. There is also a possibility of criminal charges being brought against any persons that tamper with an MEC meter.
Tampering Fee: $300.00
Reconnect Fee: 100.00
Deposit (paid prior to reconnecting): Twice highest month’s bill and any kWh used
Temporary Service Fees
There is a fee of $150.00 for temporary residential service. In addition, the temporary service including meter base and all secondary wire shall be provided by the consumer.
If a temporary service including meter base and all secondary wire is provided by MEC, the consumer must pay in advance a contribution of 100% of the estimated materials, installation and retirement cost (no credit for salvage will e granted) of providing the temporary facilities. In either case, MEC provides at no cost, the transformer, and meter.
A temporary service, including meter base, and all secondary wire may be provided by the consumer or provided by MEC. The consumer must pay in advance, a contribution of 100% of the estimated materials, installation and retirement cost (no credit for salvage will be granted) of providing the temporary facilities. In either case, MEC provides at no cost, the transformer, and meter.
Idle Service Fees
There is an Idle Service Fee of $12.50 per month to retain an idle service. An idle service is defined as facilities which were placed for power delivery and not utilized for a period of two consecutive years.