Ranch near Ovando, Montana

Energy Assistance

Posted: October 1, 2018

Know who to call before winter comes

Heating season is just around the corner, and energy assistance is available. Energy assistance programs are administered by the Human Resource Council. The following programs are available:

LIEAP (Low-Income Energy Assistance Program)

LIEAP is a supplemental heating assistance benefit for a household’s primary source of heat for low-income households. Benefit is determined by the type of fuel, type of dwelling, number of persons living in the home and the amount of gross income earned by all persons living in the home regardless of relationship.

Household income limits are based on federal poverty guidelines. Benefit checks are issued to your fuel vendor by the State of Montana unless you heat with wood, your utilities are part of your rent or you are being reimbursed for fuel purchases. In those conditions, a check will come to you from HRC.

Energy Share of Montana

Energy Share of Montana is a statewide private nonprofit corporation. Application for assistance and intake in Mineral, Missoula and Ravalli Counties is through the Human Resource Council. Energy Share accesses various sources of funds and most of them do not have an income cap.

Energy Share helps households facing an immediate energy emergency when they have exhausted all other resources. Energy Share can help households who have used their energy assistance benefit or do not qualify for LIEAP. Energy Share can also help with some furnace emergencies and refrigerator replacement, if the applicant is a homeowner. A local committee meets regularly to decide on a case-by-case basis whether to recommend assistance, the amount of assistance and any co-payment required.

Energy Share is a revolving loan pool. Households have an eligibility of up to $700 within a 10-year period. If repayment of all or a portion of the prior assistance is made, additional awards may be made totaling the amount of repayment. The program is active in all three counties.

Apply by Mail From 10/1 – 4/30

Human Resource Council
1801 S Higgins Ave
Missoula, MT 59801

Call (406) 728-3710 to request an application.